The current lockdown measures in multiple yachting locations have meant that many crew now find themselves in a position where their careers are on hold.
However, this doesn’t necessarily need to be the case. With the range of online training courses, videos and workshops available, yacht crew can use this downtime to further their training and knowledge. Keeping mentally active during this period also helps improve overall mental health and wellbeing.
We’ve put together a list of courses available for deck, engineering and interior crew, including some training that can develop your complementary skills, including language training and emotional intelligence.
The Crew Coach
- Managing the COVID-19 Crisis (Watch overview video here)
Talent Dynamics Webinar (28/04):
• Crew: https://acrew.com/workshops/talent-dynamics-insight/
• Non-crew: https://event.webinarjam.com/channel/LuxuryHospitality2
Learning Zones Webinar (30/04)
• Crew: https://acrew.com/workshops/the-learning-zones/
• Non-crew: https://event.webinarjam.com/channel/LuxuryHospitality3
- Insight Course (Watch overview video here)
- Personal Leadership Course (Watch overview video here)
- PDSD (Proficiency in Designated Security Duties)
- Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health Level 1
International Maritime Academy
- Online courses: Radio (VHF), Boat Master, Essential Navigation & Seamanship
- Day Skipper online theory training
- RYA Essential Navigation & Seamanship Course
- Professional Practices & Responsibilities (PPR)
- RYA VHF
Fred’s Oral Prep
- OOW Preparation course
- Free Tutorials: Anchoring, Boat Navigation Lights, VHF Radio ProWords
- Online Purser Course
The Yacht Purser
-Online Purser Course
- Excel course
LouiseOverend (YPI Crew) & Sophie Leach (Chief Stew & Interior trainer) have put together the following tutorial videos:
- Orchid Care
- Yacht Laundry Part 1
- Yacht Laundry Part 2
- Folding A Fitted Sheet
Follow Louise's Facebook page to see more videos or connect to share your own helpful tips.
Wine & Spirit Education Trust
- Online Wine & Spirit courses
The Cocktail Guru
- Online cocktail tutorial videos
The Crew Coach
- Online Courses in Leadership, Productivity & More
- Basic Marine Electronics
*Please note, discounts are only available to PYA members. All training providers will check your membership is up to date before granting discounts.
SPANISH - ELE USAL Mallorca
PYA Members offer: Lessons will be 10€/person, with a minimum participation of 3 people at the time and booking a minimum of 10 lessons.
FRENCH - Riviera French Institute
Course options & prices:
30h - 60€ per hour
50h - 50€ per hour
100h - 40€ per hour
Registration fee: 75 €
PYA Members offer: For a minimum of 3 registrations they will apply their best price (i.e 40€/h) for any package.
Email: email@example.com. Please use code PYA1 to get the PYA members discount. Only available until April 30th 2020.
In addition to the above courses, please contact our team to ensure your testimonials and certification applications are in order so that these can be easily processed when the MCA starts accepting NoE applications again.
Please note, the PYA has no affiliation to any training providers and has tried to provide a balanced overview of some of the courses available at this time. If you are attending courses online, it is your responsibility to ensure that these are acceptable by the MCA and/or conforming to STCW requirements, if you wish to use them towards the issuance of a CoC. The PYA will bear no responsibility for any courses attended, that are not fulfilling MCA or STCW requirements