Some vessels require crew to have a Yacht Rating Certificate as part of their safe manning requirements.
The PYA is authorized to issue Yacht Rating Certificates on behalf of the MCA. Your application must be submitted in person or by post to our office in Antibes.
The charge is €80 for non-PYA members & €40 to PYA members. However, in the case of a seafarer joining the PYA as a full member, the YRC, if required at time of joining, would be included in their first year's membership fee of €185.
In order to qualify for a Yacht Rating, you must:
Be at least 16 years of age;
Demonstrate at least 6 months yacht service including 2 months sea service, all of which must be on vessels 15 metres and over in load line length;
Complete the four elements of approved STCW basic training:
Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code Ref A-VI/1-1), or RYA Basic Sea Survival;
Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code Ref A-VI/1-2);
Elementary First Aid (STCW Code Ref A-VI/1-3);
Personal Safety & Social Responsibility (STCW Code Ref AVI/1-4);
Complete the Yacht Rating Training Record Book
Documents to submit for obtaining the Yacht Rating Certificate
Please read the following carefully because the paperwork that needs to be submitted for the issue of a YRC is quite substantial and this will help your application go smoothly.
You will need to submit to us the following, in person or by post :
1. Original Yacht Rating Certificate Application form dully filled in and signed;
2. Certified copy of passport (by a training school or your Captain or Chief Officer with their CoC number included);
3. Two passport sized photographs. One of them should have your full name and date of birth and the other should be signed by the same person who will countersign your application's section 6. They should write "I certify this is a true likeness of Mr/Ms........ " at the back of the photo and then sign.
4. PYA Service Record Book or Testimonials and Discharge Book; You may use a Yacht Rating Certificate Testimonial or any of our testimonial forms found here.
5. Original or certified as above, copies of your STCW Certificates;
6. Original or certified copies of valid medical fitness certificate, e.g. ENG 1;
7. Yacht Rating Certificate Training Record Book (not required if you have the certificates listed in 4B of application);
For more information please call/email us.