Before you can get your sea time entered into your PYA Service Record Book, you’ll need to submit your testimonials to our team for verification. In order to streamline this process and improve the efficiency of how we process your testimonials, we have put together a list of useful tips to follow when preparing and submitting your testimonials.
When you register with us and submit your testimonials, your file goes in the queue for verification. Once your file comes to the sea service verification team, your paperwork is checked for any inconsistencies, missing information and errors, therefore, to help streamline this process we advise taking note of the details below:
Tips to follow:
- File: Multiple pages of the same testimonial should be in 1 PDF file.
- Formatting: Be sure to format all uploaded testimonial documents correctly so that the information is readable and does not require the reader to zoom in.
- Template: Use the PYA template forms where possible, however, it might be easiest to simply use our digital testimonial form (https://www.pya.org/Useful-information/Sea-Service-Testimonial-Templates.aspx)
- Email address: Make sure there is a valid email address for the signatory or else we won't be able to verify them.
- Signature: Unsigned testimonials or testimonials that are self-signed will be declined (this includes Captains who self-sign).
- Dates: Fill in BOTH dates, even if you are still on board.
- Checking: Take time to check your testimonial is correct BEFORE you submit it.
- Rotation: If you work on rotation, we advise creating one testimonial for the whole period you worked on the vessel and specify how often you were on/off rotation. In addition, we advise highlighting the dates you were signed off in the ‘Leave of Absence’ section of our testimonials.
When can you submit your testimonials?
- You can get a testimonial anytime, you don't need to wait for your employment to end.
- We advise getting your sea time verified as soon as you can, in case you lose touch with the signatories and/or their contact details change.
- Sea time which has been used to get a new CoC or revalidation cannot be used again. All new testimonials must start on a subsequent date from the date of your previous one.
How to submit your testimonials?
- Upload your testimonials to your profile on the PYA website rather than sending them by email.
If you're unsure about the MCA definitions of sea time, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to avoid possible issues with your testimonials
Find out more
You can read further information about preparing and submitting your testimonials in one of our guides below: